Search Engine

Greetings from Chang Kar Sing

Friday, June 12, 2009


I'm 21 from Ipoh, Perak, currently a third year undergraduate from University Tunku Abdul Rahman (UTAR). My Dad and Mom are blessed with me and my elder sister. Thank God, that's already enough to turn my Dad's hair white.

As a member of the generation-Y cohort, I'm stereotyped with heavy usage and knowledge of the digital world - the Internet. Remembering when I was smaller, perhaps 7 or 8 year-old, that was the time where Internet's era began. I began using the internet at the age of 12, for purposes of chating online and playing games. As I grew older, it seems the Internet is growing 10 times as fast as I am. It's vast development, usage and size has proven its influence on mankind. Soon, the whole world is submerged by the Internet with the introduction of globalisation. To cope with the trend, whether in lifestyle and business, older people are beginning to learn and adopt the Internet into their daily routine.

For me, I'm still hidden in my little island. Bit by bit, inch by inch, I have drawn myself closer to the real world as I grow, from chating to browsing around for song lyrics, then getting tips and hacks for games, google-ing, surfing the internet for news, using virtual dictionary, gathering information, locating articles and journals, and finally to blogging. Today, I realise that the Internet comprises of many inter-related fields. Nevertheless, one most important field is the electronic commerce (e-commerce). By using the power of the Internet, people like managers and executives manipulate consumers to generate revenue for them. Online auctions, online advertisement, online stores, online banking, online gaming, online shopping and even paying bills online. Many things has been virtualized, to ease the consumer and also the company itself. In future, perhaps everything will be virtualized.

Realising the power and opportunity of the Internet, e-commerce is one extremely effective tool in helping a company in promotion, sales and profit generation. Therefore, it comes to the conclusion of this post and the beginning of this blog, about e-commerce.

My top 5 websites are first of all youtube (http://www.youtube.com/). It is my main source of media and entertainment, from music videos to educational videos to gaming videos, all together in 1 site. Best thing is, there's update daily. It is included in my top 5 activities which I would like to call "youtube-ing".

Besides that, with so much things to discover and so much to learn about, I simply google (http://www.google.com/) whatever information I need on anything and results pop out in no time. News, songs, lyrics, pictures, slides, blogs, websites, facts, knowledge, just name it! It's call "google-ing". (sounds sticky =p)

I also often stop by the online dictionary (http://dictionary.reference.com/) to look up for words that I don't understand. Simple movements of finger and BAM!, I get the meaning, the synonyms, the antonyms and other similar words. Can anything be more convenient? You tell me.

To enhance and ease my learning experience, I included a collaboration of a virtual encyclopedia, perhaps one of the best online (http://wikipedia.org/). I use it to read general overviews of peoples, places, incidents, news and many more. For example, I use it to understand more about the profile of an important person, like Bruce Lee.

Last but not least, to keep myself in touch with the world and to know whats happening around the globe, I read news online (http://www.thestar.com.my/). Its the same as buying newspaper, the difference is its free and it doesn't use up space and I can view it anytime I want to.

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP